Can you imagine teaching a class of kids who are:
- Resilient and
- Able to self-regulate their thoughts, feelings and behaviours?
If you are open to having a passionate wellbeing teacher come teach with you for up to an hour a week for nine weeks (or alternatively for two consecutive days) then you can make this dream a reality and tick off some PDHPE outcomes too! An overview of the nine lessons and outcomes for kids (K – 2) and Big kids (3-6) are included below.
In Australia statistics state:
- One in four school children is affected by bullying http://www.kidspot.com.au/school/secondary/peer-pressure/facts-and-figures-about-bullying
- One in four young people (aged 16 – 24) has a mental health condition http://www.youthbeyondblue.com/footer/stats-and-facts
- One in five girls will self-harm before they are 24 http://www.headspace.org.au/what-works/research-information/self-harm-and-suicidal-behaviours#10
- Suicide is the biggest killer of Australian youth https://www.youthbeyondblue.com/footer/stats-and-facts
These statistics suggest we have a lot to do to help our children understand themselves so they can fix themselves physically, emotionally, mentally, socially and spiritually when they have a problem.
As you know ‘The Wellbeing Framework’ and the ‘Schools Excellence Framework’ have been written to help schools ‘fix’ kids. Additionally the Australian Psychological Society has teamed up with educators to create KidsMatter, the online resource where teachers can gain valuable knowledge in child wellbeing.
Sparky and Shady is listed as an approved program on KidsMatter. In addition the program has been endorsed by Andrew Fuller, a leading Australian author and clinical psychologist and Dr Nicola Holmes, our local GP at Headspace.
The Sparky and Shady program on offer:
Nine weeks of during school classes for a whole class (Kindy to Yr 6).
You set aside 40 minutes to an hour per week for nine weeks of Sparky and Shady lessons with your whole class and an additional 15 mins for follow up (not essential every week – just available).
What’s in it for the children?
- Nine consecutive lessons covering: Who you are, Why you are here, How your body works, How your personality works, How your thoughts work, How your feelings work, How to cope with problems, How to believe in yourself and How to follow your dreams.
- Self-awareness of how their body, personality, thoughts and feelings all work.
- To meet Sparky (their loving side) and Shady (their scared side) and knowledge to help them tell the difference.
- Three strategies to self-regulate their body, feelings and thoughts – ‘Short cuts’.
- A strategy that works to cope with problems and let go of ‘baggage’ – ‘Pit Stop’.
- A strategy to help them change limiting beliefs.
- Three secrets to believe in themselves and to help them follow their dreams.
What’s in it for you?
- Kids who are potentially self-aware, resilient and able to self-regulate (sometimes children don’t want to change their behaviours or limiting beliefs in which case we need to enlist their parents to help)
- Up to 9 hours of Professional Development in Wellbeing.
- A PDF download of ‘Sparky and Shady for Kids’ or ‘Sparky and Shady for Big Kids’
- A PDF download of ‘Sparky and Shady for Kids Teachers’ Manual’ or ‘Sparky and Shady for Big Kids Teachers’ Manual’ with curriculum outcomes and lesson plans.
- ‘How to take a Pit Stop’ video to support children to let go of ‘baggage.’
- Strategies to help children cope with problems and manage their thoughts, feelings and behaviour.
- A strategy to help children change limiting beliefs (for e.g. “I am good at reading” instead of “I can’t read”.)
- Happy and loving children, who are empowered to make good choices, cope with problems and believe in themselves!
What’s in it for parents?
- A free parent information night with an overview of the program and strategies. (A video format is also available for parents unable to attend.)
- A free PDF download of ‘Sparky and Shady for Kids’ or ‘Sparky and Shady for Big Kids’
- ‘How to take a Pit Stop’ video to support children to let go of ‘baggage’
- Hands on strategies that work to help children cope with problems and manage their thoughts, feelings and behaviour.
$1800 per class or $1350 per class for 3 or more classes at the same school during the same term (plus GST)
For testimonials from teachers, parents and children who have taken part in the program please see sparkyandshady.com/testimonials
Two Day Workshop
For a whole class (K – Yr 6)
Class teachers choose two consecutive days in their calendar for two days of ‘Sparky and Shady’ lessons with their whole class.
Day One: Who you are, Why you are here, How your body works, How your personality works and How your thoughts work.
Day Two: How your feelings work, How to cope with problems, How to believe in yourself and How to follow your dreams.
Cost? $2000 per class plus GST (additional travel and accommodation expenses for schools outside the Coffs Harbour area)
For further details please phone 0409 711 608 or email email@example.com
Kathy is also available as a Wellbeing Consultant for school Staff Development Days
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.Curriculum objectives (3-6)